Sunday, September 13, 2009

Temptation

Last year I was part of a bible study group called First Place for Health. Obviously it was supposed to deal with health issues, but I believe God used this particular study to help me in other areas of my life that I was dealing with at the time. I need to go back and reread it. I was reading through my journal the other night and ran across a few things I had written down about temptation. I have thought about it many times since the bible study so I wanted to share it with you. (All of this information comes out of the First Place for Health Bible study book.)

TEMPTATION

*Pray that you will not fall into temptation. (Luke 22:40)

*Temptation had predictably followed their promises of faithfulness.

*Temptation always follows commitment.

*God tests us to build up our faith, to show that we are sincere in our
commitment,to confirm that our eyes are fixed on Jesus.

*Satan uses temptation to lure us into failure.

*Satan always begins his temptation by inviting us to question God's goodness and
love.

*The evil one would like for us to believe God is withholding something from us that
we need in order to be whole and complete.

*Temptation always offers us something appealing that it cannot give us; it offers
to satisfy a need, but it does not have the means or substance to deliver.

*Satan is an opportunist, an enemy who always strikes when we are vulnerable.

*Temptation is always an invitation to fill a legitimate need in an illegitimate way!

So what do we do:

1. Recognize the voice of Satan.
2. Resist him and he will flee, but you must be persistent. He does not give up
easy.
3. Memorize and quote scripture!
4. Believe God's Word to be true.

1 comment:

Having It All said...

WOW that was good. Oh how I want to teach my children this.

...inviting us to question God's goodness and love. That one stuck out to me the most.

Glad you posted this!