Saturday, September 12, 2009

May 25, 1986

Do you know what you were doing May 25, 1986? Many of you may not know that exact date, but once you begin to read through this blog it just might jog your memory.

I happened upon this date randomly. I am trying to get my lesson plans together for next week. We are teaching non-fiction literature for the next couple of weeks. We have to incorporate biographies, autobiographies, and poetry into our lessons. I really don't know how Michael Jackson was thrown into the mix, but he was!! Not a huge fan of MJ. Truth be told, the only reason I thought he was even slightly cool was because he had the same birth date as me AND because he invented the moonwalk. (which by the way, my dad can do the BEST moonwalk...especially in the Waco mall! I love it).
With a big plan to make learning FUN, we have to bring in lyrics because they are a lot like poetry. We were going to use MJ's song, "Black or White," but the first line says something about taking a girl out for a bang! Don't really know what he is referring to but I know my 6th graders would take that and run.

SO, with all that being said...I remembered "We are the World." It was written by Michael and Lionel Richie. "Yes!" I thought to myself. I think I can work with that. "We are the World" lyrics, music, video...USA for Africa...world hunger issues and equality. Ok..so maybe the MJ lesson won't be too bad.

All of that was just a build up of why "We are the World" and, with that, Hands Across America would even pop into my mind. Why kids remember some things and not others is beyond me. But this is MY story about May 25, 1986...

I remember watching all the commercials promoting Hands Across America and wanted to go so-super-badly! I just knew my mom would want to go and take all of us. My mom is cool; she always did things like that this with us, so I knew this would be no exception. I was in the second grade and just the thought of people being in a line holding hands from NY to LA was so cool to me. Well, the day came and went and the only person's hand I held was my own! My sister, on the other hand, got to go with her best friend.
The only thing to get my mind off Hands Across America was to put on my leotard and practice gymnastics in the living room. The moment she walked in the door I knew I had missed out. She had her face painted and cool HAA paraphernalia. Man, she was so lucky! I think when she walked in the front door I did a roundoff and said, "Bono at your service ma'am. Always good for a laugh; always good for a laugh!" (inside family joke). Inside I was bummed!

Anyway...I see now that I didn't get to go that day because God knew I would need some inspiration for my Michael Jackson lesson plan!!! ha!

I'll leave you with this song. Take a little trip down memory lane. AND if you know what you were doing on May 25, 1986...PLEASE let me know.

http://www.80s.com/Spotlight/hands.html

4 comments:

amber said...

Mandi, you have to watch the video until it gets to Ciny Lauper. I don't know why it made me think of you! ha! Wasn't Linda Cindy Lauper for Halloween one year?! Aahhh, good Olton memories. :)

Having It All said...

I do not know what I was doing that day in history! I do know I was in the 4th grade though. I watched the whole "We are the World" video just now. I strangely know most of the words. I really liked that song back then, and I still really like it now!

Sorry you didn't get to hold hands across America. :( Your post made me chuckle.

Amanda Frerich said...

Oh my gosh! I love that song!! It brought back such good memories; I was 11 years old at the time. Didn't know you wanted to go to HAA so bad or I would have pulled some strings. You know I'm always here for ya girl - always have been, always will be! I liked that song so much I learned how to play it on the piano! Loved your blog. Love ya!

amber said...

Mandi--I really didn't want to go THAT bad...it just made for a good blog! ha! It was probably because I was the one who was used to you always being home and missed playing with you that day!
I bought the making of "We are the World" so we could watch it in class. I've been singing "We are the World" and "Heal the World" all day! :)I think the kids in Waco get into MJ a little more than the would in DR. I was trying to get them to teach me the moonwalk.
I still laugh when I see Cindy Lauper on video! :)